Keep prayers coming for Uriah

Well, Uriah isn’t out of the woods just yet.  I finally have some updated information for everyone.

Uriah did sustain a concussion in the original blast.  There was some suspicion that he may have suffered a concussion when he arrived at Bethesda.  After some examination, the doctor determined that Uriah may still be under the effects from the concussion.  The good news?  My little bro has a hard head!  😉

Last night mom informed me that during one of his follow-up test, a nurse discovered air building up outside of his damaged lung.  Of course, this was causing the lung to actually deflate, which is obviously bad.  After several intense (we won’t say “panicked”) minutes of nurses and doctors running in and out of the room tending to Uriah, the decision was made to install a new chest tube.  The doctors removed his original (larger) tube and added a new smaller one higher up on his chest to alleviate the pressure.  Uriah gets anxious whenever the doctors are removing something or putting something new in, so he was asking a lot of questions about his new tube, but was assured it would help him out.  He’ll be getting a new chest xray in a few hours to check the status of the air outside of his lung.  Hopefully it’s reducing in size.

Uriah still has blood clot in his right leg.  I didn’t mention this before because it was expected, post-surgery.  When it was discovered, they immediately removed his epidural (which was his primary source of pain relief) so there was no possible bleeding area and placed him on blood thinners.  The doctors are hoping it dissolves on its own and doesn’t break off and begin traveling.  Anyone who knows anything about blood clots can tell you that has the potential to be bad.  We, on the other hand, believe it will be just fine.  🙂

The doctors scheduled Uriah for surgery in morning to re-examine his liver.  They think there’s a spot not healing up properly and that it’s causing more drainage than normal.  The doctors are also deciding during this surgery to go ahead and go in and pin the two fractures in his leg.  Two birds with one surgery.

Otherwise, Uriah is doing well.  He got a chocolate milkshake the other evening.  It’s my understanding that he really enjoyed it, too.  Uriah is not, however, sleeping much.  He’ll get a few hours here or there, but his hearing seems to have amplified (I like to call it his super-power) since the blast, so every little noise that happens outside his room, he has been hearing.  He wakes up and just decides to stay awake.  I can tell he’s tired, though, so I ya’ll don’t mind, pray that my little bro GETS SOME SLEEP before I have to drive up there and knock him out myself!  Haha.  Kidding, of course… mostly.

I did received a very nice phone call this afternoon while I was at work.  The lady on the other end introduced herself as being from Senator Rockefeller‘s Martinsburg office.  We had a brief conversation where she told me that the senator’s office was following my blog and keeping up with Uriah’s story.  She asked if there was anything that Uriah, I, or our family needed and told me she thought it was very nice of me to be keeping this blog updated so regularly with information about my brother.  When I told her I couldn’t think of anything currently that we needed, she passed along her contact information there at the Martinsburg office, as well as making sure I had the contact information for the D.C. office.  I thought that was nice of her.  Then she asked if she could pass along my personal contact information directly to the senator should he want to contact me.  I, of course, said yes.  I’m sure Uriah will be pretty tickled to know that a U.S. Senator is keeping up with his story!  I can’t wait to tell him about it when I see him this weekend.

Now I need to edit some past information.  It was originally explained to us that Uriah was medevaced to somewhere called Bath, Afghanistan.  Well, guess what, I can’t find a “Bath, Afghanistan” and apparently what was originally said was “BAF, Afghanistan”, which stands for Bagram Air Field.  So, Uriah was flown to BAF, not Bath, which doesn’t, in fact, exist in Afghanistan.  He was at the air field, not the city.  That was a mis-communication from the very beginning.  Consider this the official correction.  Thank you.  We now return you to your regularly schedule Uriah updates.


5 Responses

  1. Sometimes Anesthesia can cause hearing sensitivity and I think that there’s a class in Nursing school on how to make sure your patients don’t sleep…….lol……Thanks for all the updates…..Still praying for Uriah and the whole family……

  2. Well I am sure we can all guess where he got that HARD HEAD – can’t we!!!!

    Hospitals are the hardest place in the world to get any rest. But I do so hope that he will soon be in a quieter atmosphere and more comfortable.

    Please know that there are a lot of people up here in Morgan County that are praying for him too.

    Keeping you all in my heart.

    Janie Darby Fox

    • Janie, I’m SURE I don’t know what your talking about. He OBVIOUSLY got that hard head from his mother… Lol. 😉 Thank you for the prayers and support.

  3. Thank you, Ryan, for keeping us all updated. Still praying for him and your family. God is in control.

  4. I read your blog thru a friends fb page. Although I don’t know your brother personally I am lifting he & your family in prayer. God is good…all the time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: